Monday, April 11, 2011

Moonlight

"False friends are like our shadow, keeping close to us while we walk in the sunshine, but leaving us the instant we cross into the shade."

Okay so this may be a crazy deep philosophical and theological idea (or it might just be crazy), but just stick with me for the ride.

I met some of my best friends during the Summer of 2011.  The other day, I was thinking about those people and reminiscing about that summer when I realized I was humming. The song I was humming was the tune to "You are My Sunshine."  I thought about it for a little while and kinda looked deep (maybe a little too deep) into my thoughts and that I was coincidentally singing that song.  I thought that those people really are my sunshine. They brighten up my day, they are so loving, and they warm my heart (sounding like a cheesy Hallmark card yet??). Yet these people would be nothing without Jesus. He is the sole reason that they stand out so much from many of my other friends. Their love for Jesus and for people is phenomenal. I came to the realization that the reason that they shine the way that they do is because of God.  They were not my sunshine...but Jesus is.  I then thought to myself "well, what does that make my friends?" I was quick to answer my own question...moonlight.  These people are simply my moonlight.  They still help me through dark times even though they are not quite as helpful or bright as God Himself; and occasionally when it feels like I can't see God anymore, I look at them and see God reflected in them and reassure myself that He is still there.

I also found the above quote and considered it.  I found that it works well with this metaphor. I strongly believe in a difference between friends and "friends." We all have "friends" that we must be nice to for the sake of our own reputations, and their company is forced upon us. Take whatever you would like from that quote, or take nothing from it. I just found it interesting.


As summer 2011 is quickly approaching I am constantly praying for these people that I consider to be my moonlight, and I hope that they will continue to shine the way that they do and to be a reflection of our Lord.

I do not have a challenge for this blog, except I think I am going to challenge myself to talk to myself less...it kinda scares me.  Also, forgive me if you find this blog to be a bit far-fetched or cheesy. :P

2 comments:

  1. #1: Don't think less!
    #2: I love this so much. & I am so thankful that Jesus loves us enough to bring us to places where we meet moonlights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not cheesy at all, very insightful in fact.
    A+ Miss Barton.

    ReplyDelete