Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Legacy

I want to leave a legacy. How will they remember me? Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things? I want to leave an offering; a child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically and leave that kind of legacy-Nicole Nordeman "Legacy"

Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Albert Einstein, Amelia Earhart...People who are lost in history, but left with a legacy. I would love for my name to be grouped with these people's, but the odds of that happening is slim to none. Yet, to leave a legacy is one of my life goals. It may not be a legacy that everyone in America knows about, but I want to do just as this song says. I want to be remembered for my love, for my impact, and for my loyalty to the Lord. 

This is one of the main reasons I love working at the wonderful Camp Longridge. As a camper, my staffers had an impact on my life. They were Christian role models, they knew how to have good clean fun, and they were really cool (by the standards of a 9 year old). Getting a chance to be on the opposite end of this spectrum is a dream come true. I have never been able to find the type of joy that comes from knowing that I can be that Christian influence and winning the approval of 200 young kids anywhere else. I diligently try to make sure that everyday that I am in the midst of those kids, that I will leave my legacy and the legacy and love of Jesus Christ with them when they leave on Friday. When they look back ten years down the road, I want them to think, "Kayla. She was a great staffer and she showed me what it meant to love God and to love people." 

Now I tend to get on a bit of an ego trip occasionally, but with camp, it never lasts too long if I get on one. It only takes one homesick child or toilet scrubbing to remind me that I am a servant just as Jesus was. Sometimes it is those disgusting and seemingly pointless tasks that I often find the most humility in, and yet the joy of a servant's heart follows right on the heels of the humility. I love my job and it is easy to make it about me, but I also enjoy this humility on an almost daily basis. While working, I am a servant and reflection of Jesus, and more than anything I want His legacy to be evident in my life. I challenge you to leave a legacy that leave people talking about your loyalty to God and your love for people. Also try on a bit of humility everyday...it's not as bad as it looks. :)

1 comment:

  1. This reminded me of the "Life Goal" FB post you did many months ago. I have it printed out on my refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete