Sunday, October 2, 2011

Artistic

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." -Genesis 1:1

So in church this morning, my pastor took a firm stance against evolution. As a science major, I know evolution backwards and forwards, I have been taught it more times than I can count, and I do not believe it. But this blog is not really to combat evolution....in this post I am just going to point out one thing about God's creation that has stood out to me.

I truly believe that one attribute of God is that He is an artist. He designs intrinsic masterpieces that function at the highest level of intellectualism that the human brain can grasp, and He creates us all (male, female, human, monkey, dog, bacteria, etc.) beautiful and worth standing in awe over.

I had one course my first semester of college called "Human Experience" (HMXP for short). In this course we were supposed to be finding out who we really were since most of us were on our own now and just starting college. Apparently a liberal arts college thinks that the best way to find out who you are is to sit down with a bunch of other people and listen to their problems and views. Who woulda thought that finding out who I am would involve so many opinions of other people thrust upon me? Anyways, overall the class was crap, but it got me one step closer to my degree; however, I specifically remember one awesome thing that I got out of that class. One day, a discussion we were having involved evolution versus creation. One very intelligently designed guy said, "I don't see why people couldn't believe in evolution. Our DNA is 98% the same as chimpanzees, if that's not proof of a common ancestor, I don't know what is." Silence filled the room until the girl next to me did what I wish I had the guts to do at the time, she spoke up. She said, "Maybe its not proof of a common ancestor, but rather a common creator. Just like Picasso or van Gogh has common themes and brushstrokes in all of their paintings, maybe God leaves similar marks on all of His masterpieces." I was blown away and that statement has been with me ever since. Maybe God is using the world around us, the familiar, to create the variety and beauty that we see today among His creation. All I know is that I praise God that I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).

I challenge you to view God as an artist and enjoy His creations to the fullest. Go star gazing, watch some animals, or enjoy being around people. And most importantly, praise Him for His beauty and the beauty of His creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment