Sunday, October 9, 2011

Stereotype #1

"But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the doors of the jail and brought them out." -Acts 5:19


This morning I went to Elevation Church with my roommate. I have to be honest, I went with a bad taste in my mouth because I have never been fond of mega churches. I have a couple of stereotypes, and I will cover them in a matter of two blogs (one today and one tomorrow) because it really is too long for just one blog. Here's half of my reasons behind not like satellite churches:
1. To me they seem very impersonal 
2. Often they are focused on "feel good" messages (never on hell, tithing, you're-in-sin-so-fix-it type messages that may be a little unsettling but need to be preached nonetheless) 
3. Often the pastor reads a passage of scripture and then never returns to it or any other scripture during his message.


Now here's what I learned today about each stereotype, what I learned about God, and what I learned about the vision of His coming kingdom. Please note that I have my stereotypes for a reason, I have been to other satellite churches that have formed these ideas, and Elevation strengthened some stereotypes, and demolished others.
1. I still think that satelitte churches are very impersonal, but can do their best to form a united body of believer and welcoming atmosphere for unbelievers at each location. I was raised in an average sized baptist church for my whole life, and I have to admit that I find it weird when people are clapping and giving a standing ovation for someone who is miles away or praying with someone on a television. These personal aspects of a relationship within a church body and between a pastor and his congregation are lacking. However, Elevation staff, volunteers and dedicated members are welcoming, not judgmental and loving of everyone who walked in the doors.
2. I was pleasantly surprised with the message this morning. Given that the lead pastor, Steven Furtick, did not preach, it was a wonderful message. The passage used was Acts 5:17-29 which is about Peter and other apostles being freed from prison and the main focus was on having bold obedience. The message was focused on the fact that obedience triggers opposition, releases miracles, and requires faith. It was made clear that upon doing God's work is not easy and that ridicule and persecution may happen but that the faith we have in God will carry us through the rough times if we are willing to sacrifice our lives for the advancement of His kingdom. The part about obedience releasing God's miracles hit me pretty hard. The verse used was Acts 5:19 which says "But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the doors of the jail and brought them out." The point being made here was that Luke wasn't making a big deal out of this miracle. An angel opened the jail door for heavens sake!!!!!!! This is a great representation of Luke's faith. For his point of view it was probably something more like, "Yeh an angel of the Lord opened the jail door, but what do you expect? This is God were talking about after all." Basically, no big deal. Miracles shouldn't surprise us because we are serving the creator of the whole universe and he is mighty and powerful to do ANY and ALL things! It meant a lot to me because I am often surprised about how God works things out in my life, but I really shouldn't be if I have enough faith to truly believe that He is in control. 
3. I have heard some criticism of Steven Furtick about this third stereotype, but I will not comment on him because I did not hear him speak. Craig Groeschel (Steven Furtick's pastor) spoke, and he did a magnificent job of making scripture the basis of his message. Props goes out to all those pastors who manage to keep the most important thing at the top of their agenda, that being that the Bible is the foundation and cornerstone of all Christianity.


I challenge you to not just believe stereotypes about churches. Go make your own ideas about churches (and not just satellite churches). And if it is a Jesus believing, Bible teaching, theologically sound church, then the form of delivery is not an issue. You can have a preference, but there is nothing wrong with it. Like I said, I still have some of the same beliefs about satellite churches, but many of them were transformed today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment