Monday, September 26, 2011

Oh boy!

"God gives us guys to complement us, not complete us." -Rachel Herrin




Let's be honest, if you put 2+ girls together and get them talking, one topic is always guaranteed to surface, boys. In the fall of 2010 almost a year ago to the day, I went on a retreat with the girls from Winthrop's Baptist Collegiate Ministry. We were in small groups with girls from other schools with no more than two of us per school in each group. I knew absolutely no one in my group, yet I loved these girls so much. We were just supposed to get together and talk about things in our lives and share each others burdens (Gal. 6:2) and offer godly words of wisdom to each other. It took about five minutes before my group was on the topic of boys and relationships. We threw around ideas about relationships, hardships, temptations, and our views on them. As one girl went to offer her view, the sentence above slipped out of her mouth, and it has forever changed my view on friendships/dating/ marriage and everything in between.


"God gives us guys to complement us, not complete us." Such a powerful statement in my opinion. A reminder that God has made us to be unique and to be able to survive a powerful and worshipful life with or without a mate. Now this is not to make guys sound like arm candy and this statement was shared in the midst of having the utmost respect for men. This statement was just to make the point that marriage is not our ultimate goal in life, that finding "Mr. Right" isn't all its cracked up to be, and that if we are destined to be single, God will bless us just as he blesses marital relationships if we are using our lives for His glory.


I once heard it put that while you are single, you have opportunities to serve God that someone in a relationship does not have. You need to take advantage of these opportunities because you never know when God will bring someone into your life, you begin a relationship and those opportunities are gone (Col. 4:5). Also, a popular song among Christians is the song "While I'm Waiting." This is the poster child of how we should approach singleness. "I will move ahead, bold and confident. Taking every step in obedience. While I'm waiting, I will serve you while I'm waiting, I will worship. While I'm waiting, I will not faint, I'll be running the race even while I wait." The whole song is posted above. Remember that love is patient (1 Cor. 13:4).


If we are one that is chosen to share our life with another person, we need to get everything we can out of that relationship, if we are one of the ones chosen to be single, ditto, get everything you can out of that opportunity. Now for those who will be/are married, remember that you serve as a support system for your spouse. You are their biggest fan, hardest critic, and partner in ministry of Jesus Christ, and all this is to be done with the love of Christ in mind. 


I challenge you to sit back and take all of this in...maybe read this whole blog again. Then, I challenge you to act on it. Serve God while you are single, become a better wife, change your view of relationships...whatever the step you need to take is, take it.


*I felt a little weird writing that last part since I'm not married, so feel free to add some wisdom if you are! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment