Saturday, January 8, 2011

"What in the world is a birddog?!?!"

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved." -Victor Hugo

The annual Camp Longridge retreat to Gatlinburg got canceled this week. So what else is there to do but make our own fun in the precious town of Anderson, South Carolina. Those who were supposed to attend Gatlinburg as well as a few extras that were within driving distance made a weekend of memories to last a while.

Being in college, I've see the whole party scene. I can honestly say that it has never really appealed to me at all. Those who party seem to enjoy themselves and especially in high school I felt like maybe I was missing out on the "fun." But what they have is just that..."Fun." Who wants to wake up in the morning with a new disease or not knowing whether you actually had fun last night or not or with someone you love in critical condition because of an accident? All I know is that this weekend I was reminded what real fun is. It is sitting around a table (or 3 tables) with some of your best friends talking about old memories and preparing yourself for new and better ones. It is laying on the floor with a bunch of girls discussing life, boys, memories, the future, and maybe a little theology and philosophy! It is roadtrips with friends and jamming to tunes that you would be embarrassed for "normal" people to know that you knew. It is walking though a sketch flea market where you can buy a puppy AND a taser. Here's what really hit me hard this weekend, it is not what you are doing that makes the fun, it is the people you are with. We managed to have a blast doing almost absolutely nothing and going almost nowhere. But yet, we had the best kind of entertainment...each other. I laughed so hard that breathing became difficult at times, and I am certain that I have the best friends a girl could ask for. I will take good clean fun over partying any day of my life.

So even though this weekend we were supposed to enjoying fun in Gatlinburg, we found so much more. Despite the fact that we did not do much at all, we found joy, laughter, and love. (This whole blog has sounded like a Hallmark card or a cheesy graduation speech) Either way, here is a shoutout to the best friends a girl could ask for!...Amy King, Bri Meeler, Betsy McCarty, Jason Hadden, Jimmy Ridgeway, Justin Hadden, Nate James, Nicole Bailey, Evan Poore, and Will Godfrey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment