Thursday, January 6, 2011

Makin' Me Fall in Love Again...


Then You come crashing in, like the realest thing. Trying my best to understand all that Your love can bring-John Mayer "Half of My Heart"

Okay, so in this blog I was going to cover one of everyone’s favorite topics, Music; but specifically secular vs. Christian music. I came across the above article as I was looking for some sort of affirmation of an idea that has been brewing in my mind. This article is the furthest thing I could find from affirming. I was appalled. What is it that makes a song a “Christian song” or worship music? Does it have to mention God? Must it have part of a scripture in it? Maybe if its made by a “Christian” band it is automatically Jesus music…who knows? Here’s the idea that I am entertaining; most genres can be worship music even if it is not categorized as such.

Now I’m not saying that just any song can be transformed into a worship song because there are some raunchy and worldly ones that are definitely best left separate from God. But I see no problem with relating secular songs to your life on a spiritual level. I had an pretty in depth conversation one night with my boyfriend, Jason, about his favorite band, Switchfoot. According to Wikipedia (yes, I am using this as a valid source so all of the English teachers out there can just deal with it), Switchfoot is primarily characterized as an Alternative Rock band. However, many of their songs are considered to be spiritual and some are even played on Christian radio stations. So why not consider Switchfoot and other similar bands "Christian" bands? When you put the title "Christian" on a band, limits are put on what type of audience they are trying to reach. Who mainly is Christian music reaching?...Christians. It's like preaching to the choir. In Mark 2:17 Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." There you have it, Jesus himself reached out past the Christian crowd and, in fact, preferred them over the religious leaders of the day. Who's to say that some "secular" music is not doing the same? It is not the Christians that need to hear worship music, it is those who are lost.

The first time I heard the song “Makin’ Me Fall in Love Again,” by Kellie Pickler, it struck me as such an interesting song. It was written and recorded to reflect the joy in either a dating or marital relationship; however, since I had neither at the time, I found myself applying the lyrics to my relationship with Christ. These lyrics can be taken in a couple different ways, so if I express them with a worshipful attitude, why cant it be considered a worship song in my book? So even though Kellie Pickler is a country artist, this specific song I feel can gloryifying to God as long as my view, attitude, and heart are in the right place.

The following are just a few of the many songs that I find could be worship songs if expressed in a reverent and worshipful attitude. I challenge you to look at your own favorite secular songs and see if any of them can apply to or reflect your spiritual life.
Makin’ Me Fall in Love Again-Kellie Pickler
Smile-Uncle Kracker
Half of My Heart-John Mayer
So Small-Carrie Underwood
I Look at You-Miley Cyrus
You Save Me-Kenny Chesney
Forever and Ever, Amen-Randy Travis
Everywhere-Michelle Branch

No comments:

Post a Comment