Monday, July 23, 2012

The Apostle Paul and Luke Bryan

"Hey I'm a little drunk on You and high on summertime." -Luke Bryan "Drunk on You"

"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything." -Ephesians 5:18-20

This blog may be taken as a bit blasphemous, but I promise that I mean no disrespect. Even though I am almost positive that neither Paul nor Luke Bryan had the other in mind when they wrote these two things above, I found a neat connection.

In the song above Luke Bryan is referring to a girl and he talks about drinking and talks about taking clothes off, but the point of the song is that the girl is the "best buzz [he's] ever gonna find." That her love is more addicting than any alcohol. I kinda thought about that and, through a long stretch, made it relate to my relationship with God. (I have a tendency to try to do this with almost every song I ever hear.) Again, it is a long stretch for some people, but I honestly find myself feeling "drunk" with the Holy Spirit sometimes. Above, you can see where the apostle Paul urges the church at Ephesus (and ultimately us) to be filled with the Spirit and to be thankful for everything.  I believe that this song encompasses a small part of that. God's love is the best buzz I can ever find. I desire to be filled with Him and to go 'bottoms up' with His word until I know if from cover to cover. I want to be drunk on Him so much that His glory spills out of my mouth like a stream of incomprehensible babble may flow from the mouth of an alcoholic.

As I sit here staring out at the beach at in Edisto Beach, SC I am drunk on Him and high on summertime. I challenge you to be filled with Him, take Him in and be drunk on His love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment