Wednesday, July 18, 2012

10 OT Lessons

I have spent the last 8 weeks working in an adult outpatient rehab setting to get the majority of my hours for graduate school for occupational therapy. I have LOVED every minute of it. Here some of the life lessons and just some funny things I have learned in the last 8 weeks.

1. A good attitude can work wonders for the healing process.
2. Most people will work really hard to get back to doing the things they love most (playing golf, crocheting, making paper dolls) :)
3. I get really angry when I see a kid who has an unfortunate condition, and it is their parents fault that they are that way.
4. Both in therapy and life, discomfort is okay, but don't push it until its painful.
5. You can find a common interest with anyone.
6. The government and insurance agencies are really good at keeping people from the best possible treatments. (Drs. and therapists know what they are doing, insurance agencies don't.)
7. Some of the worst possible injuries have a story behind them that starts with "Well, I was just walking..." Walking is very dangerous! haha
8. Patients give good gifts (i.e. cards, homemade tissue boxes, muffins, recipes) :)
9.  A sense of humor can lighten even the worst of situations.
10. Graduation day (the day he or she is discharged) can be the best or worst day of that person's life depending on how they felt about their therapist.


*I cannot wait to be an OT! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment