Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sit Down, Shut Up

"Be still and know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10

Layman's translation:  Sit down, shut up, quit worrying, I'm God, and I will handle this for you. More often than not, I need God to slap me in the face with that. A reminder that I am not in control and a reality check that I serve an awesomely powerful God who is capable of all things. I often overvalue my existence. My very first blog post said something about approaching the question "What would God do without me?" I came to the same conclusion then that I still come to now, a year and a half later. Without me, God would still be God. He would continue despite my absence and not a single bit of his power or control would be drained. It is here that the author of the psalm points out this very fact; that God is God, despite who we are. He is all powerful despite what we try to do about it. He is in control despite how much we try to pretend that we fill that role.

I challenge you to be sit down, shut up, and quit worrying. God is in control.

1 comment:

  1. Francis Chan says we should be most occupied with what God wants us to do in the next ten minutes and later situation will take care of themselves. After all, what we do in the next ten minutes shapes those situations we so often fear, dread, or worry about. I never know what time it is, so handling ten minutes is about all I can realistically handle!

    ReplyDelete