Friday, May 6, 2011

Ransomed

O to grace how great a debtor daily I’m constrained to be! Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to Thee
This song is number six on my list of ten songs that describe me. "Come Thou Fount" was actually just added to the list and took the place of another song. I had not planned on having a hymn on this list, and yet, here it is.  I had this song stuck in my head the other day and listened to it over and over again on youtube and then decided that it described a big part of my life.  I have already had a few of the songs that addressed my faith, but this one approaches my faith from a different angle.  Whether this is the true meaning of the song or not, this is what I get from it...it is about joy in surrender and one day leaving this earth for a better place.  Each stanza ends with some sort of allusion and illusion of going to heaven and being pure and in the midst of God. This is something that I look forward to everyday.  I know many people who want to bargain with God...they say "well I want to get to drive before Jesus returns...I want to get married before He comes back...I want to have a family before I leave for heaven." Although I would love to have these things, if marriage or a family is what is stopping my Savior from returning, I will surely give it up for eternal peace and joy beside my Father.  I think that this song is the epitome of humility and faith in God. It expresses the sacrifice that Christ went through for us and how He has overcome death and how we can have faith that He will return for us (John 14 :3). "Praise the mount I'm fixed upon it, mount of Thy Redeeming Love!" 
Now what kind of challenge should I make out of this song and blog??? ...how about I challenge you to get PSYCHED about the day that He returns! As my pastor often reminds my church family "we are 7 days closer to meeting the Lord than we were last week!"

"Come Thou Fount" 
Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount, I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my
Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;

O that day when freed from sinning,

I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

No comments:

Post a Comment