Saturday, June 2, 2012

Stumbling into the Sacred

"We cannot get away from God, though we can ignore Him. We may ignore but we can nowhere evade, the presence of God-the world is crowded with Him." -C.S. Lewis

I read a story one time about a theologian and a child on a train together. The theologian promised the small boy an apple if he could answer a single question. The child agreed. The theologian asked, "Where is God?" Without missing a beat, the child replied, "I'll give you a whole barrel of apples if you can tell me where God is not."

Despite his youth, this kid gets it. It is not so much as to where God is, but rather where He is not. Needless to say, the theologian did not get his barrel of apples. God is everywhere. When David wrote Psalm 139 he said, "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, You are there; if I make my bed in the depths, You are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast." He surrounds us and is always there for us. Many people believe that God is similar to a watchmaker. That He created the world and has been distant ever since; that He is just standing back and letting nature run its course. I have to politely decline this idea. I believe the existence of a Creator is undeniable in our everyday lives.  Simple miracles are things that we consider to be "normal" because they happen every single day, but we fail to realize them as miracles. Everyday we stumble upon the sacred and fail to realize that He is the very reason of our being. He is hidden in the little things and is present among the greatest and lowest moments of our lives. He is the snow falling, He is coincidences, He is the sun rising, He is the life we have every morning when we wake up, and He is love. These miracles may seem mundane if seen through an untrained eye, but to a child of God, they are the masterpieces of our Creator.

I challenge you to slow down a bit and look for the everyday miracles that God has placed in your life.

1 comment: