Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Not a Fan

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." -Galatians 2:20

I am not a fan of Jesus...yes...you read that right. I. am. not. a. fan.

While stumbling around in Books-A-Million today I came across an interesting title in the Christian literature section. It was simply titled, "Not a Fan." I read the back of the book, and was going to buy it until I cracked it open and read a few different spots of it. While reading I realized that I already had all the knowledge that this book had to offer, so I set it back on the shelf. However, the book got me thinking. It got me thinking about how we (both Christians and those raised-in-a-Christian-nation/home-and-claim-to-be-Christians) have become fans of Jesus.

A fan is defined as "a person who has a strong interest or admiration for something." Having strong interest in Jesus is good, admiring Him is better, but a fan is not what Jesus is looking for. He doesn't want your admiration, He doesn't want your curiosity...He wants your life. He doesn't want fans; He wants disciples. In Matthew 16:24, Jesus says to His disciples "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself take up his cross and follow me." If you are willing to make the same sacrifice for Him that He made for you, then you will have what He wants from you. You must pursue Him, you must leave your selfishness out of the picture, and you must follow. Follow Him into the unknowns, follow Him into the valleys, follow Him wherever He may lead. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

Challenge:  Be a follower, not a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment