Thursday, August 11, 2011

King comma Amy

"She asked me how I felt about all three of my roommates getting married soon and me not even being in a relationship. I just said that I couldn't be happier for them. They're engaged, and I'm Amy." -Amy King

So this blog is a little out of the ordinary. This blog is in recognition of one of the most influential peers that I have and one of the most influential things she ever said to me. I have only known this person for a year and a half, but she has made an imprint on my life forever. Amy King is one of the most amazing friends that I could ever ask for, and she is the model of how young Christian women should live their lives.
The above quote from Amy has stuck with me more than anything else that she has ever said and is a perfect glimpse of how Amy is spectacular. She is patient, kind, and selfless. She loves God with everything that she is and has ministered to me in ways that no one else ever has.
The quote above was said when referring to her three roommates (two of which I've met and one of which I'm sure is as wonderful as the other two) who were all engaged or in a serious relationship that was sure to stand the test of time. Apparently someone had asked her how she felt about the situation since all three of them would be graduating soon, getting married and moving on to the next stage of their lives and how Amy planned to cope with the loss of her three of her best friends to marriage and her being left in a different stage of life without a mate yet. Most people would hesitate to answer this question and deep down be jealous of their friends successful relationships, but not Amy. As she told me how she answered the question, I was again amazed at how this great woman of God handles the trials of everyday life. Instead of being jealous or slandering her friends to make herself look better, she simply said that she was happy for them and that "they're engaged and I'm Amy." She didn't define herself by anything other than simply her name and, if you know Amy, you know that this definition is the perfect way to describe her. Amy is just Amy. She has allowed God and Christian friendships and family to shape her into the wonderful person she is today and is not only satisfied, but joyful to be herself! We can all take a little something from this attitude; it is never our situations that define us, it is our attitude and willingness to handle the things and people that God has put in our lives.
Now for a challenge. And for this challenge I tried to put myself in the shoes of Amy King and to come up with a challenge that she might challenge everyone to...this challenge is to exceed all the limits, fears, and worries that life has put in front of you and to live who God has made you to be, settling for anything less is to sacrifice the gift. So here it is, an ode to a King of Christian women (although she would humble herself and refuse to be called such) Love you Amy and you are such a blessing in my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment